Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz
 

Monday, April 16, 2007

Week Two: San Francisco Stories.

I have lived in San Francisco for 13 years now. Lucky 13. I grew up in the burbs of Los Angeles and almost every summer my family would load into the little red bug, at the crack of dawn, for a road trip up north. That's when I first fell in love with this city.

Later, and long grown up, when I decided I wanted a big life change, San Francisco is where I headed. I didn't know anyone here, save for one person who moved to Chicago the week I arrived. She left me with a clock radio and the keys to her now barren apartment, to use until her lease ran out. I improvised by going out and buying two rubber rafts (the cheap, neon colored, blow up kind), duct taped them together, sprang for some cowboy-themed flannel sheets and for the next couple of weeks that was my bed. I couldn't have been happier or felt more at home. San Francisco just is the place I'm supposed to be.

13 years later I have met some of the most caring, creative and talented people you'd ever hope to know. They inspire me every day. Some of them are artists, photographers, craftsmen and designers, and many of them are good friends. And I'm going to shamelessly promote them in my posts this week. I promise you it won't be nepotistic, because as you'll see these lovely people are not only friends and acquaintances, but as I said, really talented. And you don't have to be in San Francisco to enjoy their work, as most of it is available or can be appreciated online. I'll also share with you this week some of my favorite shops, bargain-basement haunts and hangouts. I hope it'll make you want to visit.

5 Comments:

Blogger joellybaby said...

What great timing! I leave for SF on 5 May for my first trip there. Can't wait! Looking forward to reading your tips on the place this week.

3:18 AM  
Blogger offdutyartist said...

I almost cried when I read this. I truly love San Francisco, and your story of the blow up rafts shows how much you love it too. Now living in NY, I plan to return to the bay area in the fall. Can I borrow some duct tape?

8:50 AM  
Blogger Camilla said...

can't wait to read your posts! i feel the same way about this city. it is also my home...and i am also a transplant (from nyc).

12:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

gave me goosebumps, made my eyes well...
oh how I miss my little corner of Washington & Fillmore

4:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Being a weekender in New York on a regular basis, I love city life. I have only been to San Francisco a few times, the last time, a few years ago, and my latest impression was one of a definite city vibe, with very nice people, a whole lot of creativity, and crazy natural beauty. I look forward to going again soon. This should be a great week on the blog!

2:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 2.5 License.