Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz
 

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

caravan


Emily, the owner of Caravan, is the author of one of my favorite books,
Flea Market Style. Her styling work can be seen in British magazines like Homes & Gardens, Marie Claire, and Livingetc.


1 ~ what's your name, shop name, and shop location...
My name is Emily Chalmers and my shop is named CARAVAN.
CARAVAN is located at 11 Lamb Street, Old Spitalfields Market, London E1 6EA.
Old Spitalfields Market is located right in the heart of the city of London. It's an area steeped in history and home to many artists and designers. There's a great creative vibe there....and things change from day to day!

2 ~ tell us about some of the objects in your display...
In the main shot (mural wall) we have a hand-painted chest of drawers and on it a hand crafted glossy black vase (both pieces are from Holland), a beautiful large olive green and smaller ivory industrial-style lamps from France. We stock these lamps in many colours and there are brightly painted ones dotted all around the shop!

The bag hanging on the wall is hand printed and made by very good friends of mine - Kimchi, and the special skirt hanging below is crafted from hand-dyed decommissioned parachute fabric. Silver leather clogs from Denmark line sit in a row on the floor, next to a stack of recycled tyre storage pots from Morocco.


3 ~ describe the mood, what inspired you, or what you intended when creating/arranging these pieces...
The mood is feminine, but not too 'girly'. The main body of the shop is very masculine in colour - a dark brown / green painted floor, dark ivory painted brick walls and sage green woodwork. The oversized floral image adds a strong organic element and works well in this environment. I absolutely adore, and avidly collect, vintage floral fabrics. My inspiration for the large floral mural was a favorite beautiful vintage fabric that was too rotten to be transformed into anything. The wall was hand painted by a friend of mine - Olivia Stainer.

4 ~ what are 3 objects/pieces sold in your store that you are dying to have or... you already have and love...
I am dying to sell porcelain lampshades by Esther van Groeningen - I need to track her down first!
I am dying to have a bright enameled French industrial lamp all to myself, at home, but just can't decide which colour to buy - will it be the bright blue.... or the yellow.... or orange?!
I already have a parachute fabric skirt. These are supplied with an amazingly full underskirt and are perfect for every possible opportunity to dress up a bit! I own a khaki one (as seen in the image), but I am now dying to own the indigo blue one too......

5 ~ list three things that provide you with inspiration...
Vintage floral fabrics have always inspired me. I also get a lot of enjoyment from giving an old soul new life.... and, of course, there's nothing more inspiring than a good market find!

7 Comments:

Blogger Di Overton said...

Joy, this is the best guest blog so far. Brilliant finds, you should be here in the UK as you seem to know more UK designers and shops than we do.

10:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great post. Caravan is a beautiful shop. I visted last spring and fell in love with the black vase in the top photo. Emily was very helpful when I wrote about having the vase shipped to the U.S., but, unfortunately, was going to be too expensive, so I had to settle for a white version avaiable here in the U.S. at Lekker Home. Caravan will definitely be on my must-stop list the next time I'm in London.

10:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! I just stumbled across your blog after doing a search for textile design canada....it's great!

You should check out the Canadian Design Resource the CDR, if you haven't already. I am one of the contributors. Peace, and thanks for a great blog. I will be visiting again!
Katherine

4:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

emily is wonderful as is her shop.
i am so glad you discovered her.

6:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

just lovely! i want to peek around in this shop for ages and ages. thanks joy!

7:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i visited caravan during 100% design and wanted to just move in to the shop directly!!! it's great!

8:33 AM  
Blogger IMEDAGOZE said...

This is so wonderful, Joy. I have to put caravan into my shopping list. Thanks for sharing.

7:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 2.5 License.