Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz
 

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Lélia Arruda + Leo Kim

Lots of my posts focus on protagonists of design, those on the 'front line'. But as many of you know, behind every good designer there's a good assistant [or two]! Lélia Arruda and Leo Kim are the two assistants at Estudio Campana in São Paulo, Brazil. In the Three Layer Cake interview with the Campana brothers, I was very happy to hear how Fernando and Humberto value their contributions to the studio: "Today we have two assistants, Leo and Lelia, who play important roles in our projects. Their opinions are very important because they don’t have the same stake that Fernando and I have. They’re at our studio in order to have fresh ideas in order to help us solve our problems. Once there were two of us, but today we create with four heads." I think it speaks volumes about the brothers, and I think it's fantastic that the respect and value they have for Leo and Lélia is mutual. I am not sure which two I envy more-- Leo and Lélia who get to work with the Campana brothers, or the Campana brothers who get to work with Leo and Lélia!!




_lelia_1


Name: Lélia Arruda

Birthplace: Bonn, Germany

Studies/year of graduation: Graduated in Architecture and Urban Planning in June 2005.

Profession/how long you've been there: I’ve been at Estudio Campana since June 2005 – I got here one week before I graduated!

Left handed or Right handed: right handed

Favorite dessert: hard to say, I usually prefer salty snacks, but recently my favorite desert is tangerine.

Sketch something you remember from your childhood.

Lélia

Me and my blanket!

Object/Icon you wish you had designed and why?
I wish I had invented the straw! I know it’s plastic and it creates waste, even more when they are wrapped in paper, but really, I cannot stand the ice cubes touching my lips, especially when it is in tiny bits.

The aspect of your work you never tire of?
It’s not really part of my job but I love playing pranks on others!

One color/pattern we’ll never see in your design portfolio.
I have no prejudice against any color. They are all potentially usable.

You’ll know you’ve made it when…
...I have no complaints – is that ever possible?


_Leo_2 _Leo_1

Name: Leo Kim
Birthplace: On a special day 25 years ago at around 9am in São Paulo, Brazil.
Studies/year of graduation: Architecture and Urban Planning. 2004. (Taking post-grad in Business)
Profession/how long you've been there: almost 5. (I feel so old now that I’ve counted!)
==> Come on Leo, you are only 25!!! (This was Lelia’s comment!)
Left handed or Right handed: hard working right-handed with corns. (Does this sound strange?)
Favorite dessert: anything with chocolate and/or berries, except for cherries!!

Sketch something you remember from your childhood.

Leo


The “Snoopy” drawing is actually a kids joke. First you write CU, which means “a**hole” in a childish way and forms the head. Then you do all the rest – I made short T-Rex dinosaur arms!. I don’t think this can be published, can it?

Object/Icon you wish you had designed and why?
The 14-BIS by Santos Dummont. Can you imagine the feeling of not only flying, but being the first one?

The aspect of your work you never tire of?
It’s speedy and spontaneous.

One color/pattern we’ll never see in your design portfolio.
I’m still learning how to deal patterns and colors, personally, this is the year of no-prejudice against anything for me.

You’ll know you’ve made it when...
...when frowning is impossible.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 2.5 License.